My teaching philosophy is to spark my students’ curiosity and creativity while leading them to see that their experiences are essential to developing new ideas and problem-solving strategies. This aligns with my aim of effectively teaching a diverse group of people and attracting multiple identities to my research team and classes. I encourage students to go deeply into the roots of what is being taught, searching for the assumed premises and the interfering biases. I practice active listening with my students and work through different strategies to help them gradually become independent thinkers.
- CSC 261 – Artificial Intelligence.
- CSC 324 – Software Design and Development / CSC 326 – Software Development Leadership.
- Lecturer (Instructor of Record), Dept. of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Vanderbilt University:
- Special Topics (CS 3891/5891), Introduction to Reinforcement Learning, undergraduate/graduate (Spring 2019 and Fall 2018).
- Guest Lecturer and Teaching Assistant, Dept. of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Vanderbilt University:
- Special Topics (CS3891/5891), Data Visualization, undergraduate/graduate (Fall 2019).
- Projects in AI (CS 4269/5269), Intro to Machine Learning, undergraduate/graduate (Spring 2018 and Spring 2017).
- Special Topics (CS 8395), Computation and Cognition, graduate (Fall 2017).
- Special Topics (CS 8395), Computational Mental Imagery, graduate (Fall 2016).
- Other Teaching
- Mock Class: Discover Grinnell. The Importance of Data Visualization (Grinnell College, Fall 2021).
- Guest Lecturer. Web-based: Introduction to LaTeX. REU program (Vanderbilt University, Summer 2020).
- Guest Lecturer. LaTeX Workshop. REU program (Vanderbilt University, Summer 2019, and 2018).
- Mentor. Provided additional mentoring to an REU student (Vanderbilt University, Summer 2018) and a Ph.D. student (Vanderbilt University, Fall 2017).
- Lecturer. Algorithms in R. Fisk-Vanderbilt Master’s to Ph.D. Bridge Program (Vanderbilt University, Spring 2018).
- Advisor. Directly advised an REU student and an undergraduate student (Vanderbilt University, Summer 2017).
- Lecturer. Introduction to R. Fisk-Vanderbilt Master’s to Ph.D. Bridge Program (Vanderbilt University, Fall 2017).